Bringing Your IEP with You to College – GradPlan

The 2024-25 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), is now open. Learn more here.


Bringing Your IEP with You to College

Not everyone learns the same. If you’ve got your own Individualized Education Plan (IEP), we’ve got you covered.

Steps to Receive Support on Campus

  1. Get an electronic copy or two hard copies of your IEP or 504 plan before graduating high school
  2. Give a copy of your IEP to your college academic advisor
  3. Inquire with your advisor if there are specific supports on campus that can support you.
    (This might be a specialized services office, students with disabilities network, etc.)

What to Expect

Colleges do not have to honor the IEP, but many colleges will honor the broader existing accommodations from it, especially things like extended time and separate testing locations, use of assistive technology, and occasionally some note-taking services.


If you have specific accessibility needs, please make sure they are noted in the 504 plan you take with you to college. Think about what you may need for housing, dining, and getting to classes. Work with your school’s case manager or transition coordinator if you have questions.

More Resources

  • iCan Dream Center offers a transition program for students with IEPs to navigate the transition to college
  • College Guide for Students with Learning Disabilities
Recommended Resources


Special Circumstances

"Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today."

Malcolm X, human rights activist