Health and Immunization Records – GradPlan


Health and Immunization Records

Find the health records you need to enroll in school.

By state law, colleges require you to provide proof of immunity to certain diseases/illnesses. To do this, you must provide your immunization records (and sometimes other health information) to the college recordkeeping or health office. Check your student portal or your school’s website to find out for sure what your school requires.

TIP!  Many schools require your health and immunization records to be submitted before orientation day, so don’t delay! Locating records is not always easy.

Now, how can you get your health records?
  • Your parent(s) or caregiver(s)
  • Your pediatrician/doctor’s office
  • Your school nurse

If you cannot locate your immunization records, you can visit your state’s Immunization Registry Exchange and fill out their Immunization Request form. Visit the site of the state where you got the vaccination. You can fill out the form on your phone or computer, then submit it online.
NOTE: It can take up to 60 days for them to fulfill your request.

Keep in mind you might not be able to access your records this way. Not all states have mandatory immunization reporting. Using the Immunization Registry Exchange is voluntary for your physician and yourself.

What happens if you can’t locate your records?

You might have to get the vaccinations again or complete a blood test to see if you are immune to certain diseases. According to the CDC, while it is not ideal, it is safe to repeat vaccines. Especially in the age of COVID-19, campuses want to do everything possible to keep you safe and healthy. For COVID-19 specific information, click here. You wouldn’t want you or your friends to miss any part of the college experience you’ve been dreaming of because you got sick!

Recommended Resources


Enrollment Steps

"Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today."

Malcolm X, human rights activist